DUANE ERA ABB RECORDINGS

26 Posts
12 Users
15 Likes
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Based upon a list of Duane era ABB shows originally produced by Clay Pelland, that has been added to and enhanced following various discussions on this board over the past several years, I believe the following list to be the accurate dates of genuine recordings of Duane era ABB shows.

If anybody has a show with a date other than one of these, it is a strong possibility that it is either a bogus show (perhaps fabricated by an amalgamation of tracks from other shows by an unscrupulous bootlegger) or one that has been incorrectly dated.

I do not claim to be the font of all knowledge on this subject, I have merely collated what information I can from various sources, so if anyone has any additional information then please feel free to comment and I will edit and update the list as appropriate.

DUANE ERA ABB RECORDED SHOWS

03/30/69 @ Jacksonville Armoury  (2 discs)

This bootleg purports to be a “Second Coming” gig supposedly performed by the fledgling ABB just four days after the famous “Jacksonville Jam” when the ABB was allegedly officially formed.  Duane, Dickey, Berry, Butch and Jaimo are all there, but Gregg is not, Reese Wynans is on keyboards.  Dale Betts is also on vocals on one track however, and in the band introductions on track 3 of disc 2 the MC introduces all of the above except for Berry, saying "Richard" on Bass, who I believe to be Richard Price (previously of "The Load").  It has also been said that Larry Reinhardt (later of "Iron Butterfly") may also be on some of the tracks.

All of the above led me to believe that this "show" was actually an amalgamation of recordings from more than one gig, something that has now been confirmed by Richard Price himself, who wrote the following:

"I am Richard Price you spoke of above who was in THE LOAD. I was also in the 2nd version of THE SECOND COMING (after Dickey and Berry left).  The music you have, and it is probably very rough, is a mixture of several gigs. Some of the tunes were at the CEDAR HILLS ARMORY. The tunes where you described an MC naming me instead of Berry were at THE JACKSONVILLE COLISEUM in Jacksonville beach. The dates are different depending on which venue we were at. I have all the dates. They were all in 1969 though within a few months of each other. I can look up the exact dates of each gig later.

The term the Jacksonville Jam has been misrepresented for 40 some years. There was no one Jacksonville Jam. There were many jams over a period of months. During one of those jams the configuration of what became the ABB was on stage. We recorded many nights of jams. There were several intense nights. After one of those nights there happened to be a jam that Duane was particularly impressed by and the future ABB members happened to be in that jam.

The tapes you have are shows done by THE LOAD & the 1st version of THE SECOND COMING (with Dickey, Dale, John Meeks, Berry, and Reese). These two bands threw the jams and Jaimoe, Duane & Butch Trucks were guests sitting in. This is why you don't hear Gregg. He wasn't in town yet. Some of the tunes you are listening to were 60's cover songs by the 1st Second Coming. Some of the other tunes were Jacksonville jams. I don't know if you have them all. You'd have to give me a list.

Berry and I traded basses all night in these jams. The members of the LOAD were, Richard Price (me), Larry Reinhardt, & Monty Young. So it is true that Larry is on some of these jams.

I have the masters of all of this music and I am going to improve them in sound quality as best I can and put them out along with the never released SECOND COMING album. The Load took John Meeks and Reese and added them to the Load to form a new band after Dickey and Berry left and we kept the name SECOND COMING because 3 of the 5 of us had been in the 1st version. It also was a big draw."

Subsequent to the above, Richard was provided with the following track listing and commented further as below:

CD 1:

1. Don't Want You No More
  2. Rock Me Baby
  3. Crossroads
  4. Born In Chicago
  5. Willie Jean Jam
  6. Born Under A Bad Sign

CD 2:

1. She Has Funny Cars
  2. Hey Joe (Duane on vocals)
  3. New Shoes Blues > introductions
  4. Travellin' Music Jam

"As far as the song list above, the first 7 are the original SECOND COMING (with Dickey and Berry still in it). The next two are one of the Jacksonville jams at the Cedar Hills Armory. I was playing bass with Duane and Rhino on those. Dickey sang the Shoes Blues one and Duane sang Hey Joe.  The last one was live at the Jacksonville Beach Coliseum. I was playing bass on that as well. That's the one with the MC (Alan Facemier our manager).

There is a long 19 min jam that is missing from your collection. It may have been one of the ones Duane talked about inspiring him to start the ABB. I think there may be one more I haven't heard yet. I am trying to get it. The tapes you have have been copied over and over again to the point of bad distortion. I have the originals and plan to create a CD set called the Birth of Southern Rock as soon as I can clean them up.

One thing I want to make clear. Out of all of the Jacksonville jams, we would go home after playing until sunrise and stay up and listen to the music from the night before. There were several long spontaneous jams with different people trading places playing. I have a 19 minute one that the tape ran out on so it was really longer than that. Duane loved all of those long jams but I think that one of them may have stood out more to him. It probably had the original guys who would become the ABB without Gregg in that particular jam. Gregg was not in town yet for most of the jams. What I'm saying is that one jam may have made him make his final decision on who he would start the band with and when Gregg hit town they started rehearsing their original tunes which were mostly Gregg and Dickey's. You could call that The Jacksonville Jam but it has to stay in context of many jams that formed the dual and triple part harmonys on guitars. Those harmony guitar ideas started spontaneously in the jams between Dickey, Rhino & Duane. Later when they began to put songs together, they used these harmony ideas as part of their arrangements that the world fell in love with.

Richard Hombre Price"

05/04/69 @ Central City Park, Macon  (1 disc)

There had previously been a question mark over the legitimacy of this recording, as the Park that the band were more famously known to play at was Piedmont Park in Atlanta, and according to people who attended those shows the first such free show was a week after the alleged date of this show.  It has been confirmed by Macon residents, however, that the band did indeed play gigs in Central City Park in Macon, so the purported venue for this recording may well be legitimate.  Whether the date is correct is still debatable, but the tracks, and the versions of them, are certainly of the era, and the disc is not an obvious compilation of tracks from other known shows.  (Note that some traded versions of this show have the 3 tracks from 01/26/70 as filler tracks on the end).

11/22/69 [aka 5/23/70 & 5/??/70] @ Georgian Terrace Hotel Ballroom – Atlanta  (1 disc - partial)

Remastered by CaptSkipper ~ "Peach Cobbler 6"

Currently, there is only the final tune from the main set (Mountain Jam) and the encore (Don’t Want You No More / It’s Not My Cross To Bear) available.  It was originally hoped that the rest of the show would also be transcribed from analogue tape to digital by Johnny Sandlin and then given to Skip to be remastered, however this did not happen before Skip sadly passed away.

This is a contender for the best version of “Mountain Jam” by the original band, played with such dynamic enthusiasm.  It would be wonderful to be able to hear the rest of this show, the full track listing of which is given below, although with the passing of time and sadly with Johnny Sandlin having now passed away also this appears more and more unlikely.

1. Intro
  2. Statesboro Blues > Jam
  3. Trouble No More
  4. Every Hungry Woman
  5. Dimples
  6. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
  7. Outskirts of Town
  8. Whipping Post
  9. Mountain Jam
  10. Don’t Want You No More >
  11. It’s Not My Cross To Bear

(Tracks in gold are all that are currently available)

For those interested in the basic background behind this recording, the following are a few snippets of quotes by Ann Sandlin:

"The tape with the show was discovered in a trunk along with a number of other historically interesting tapes Johnny had long thought were stolen when our garage was cleaned out several years ago. It took a while before we even listened to the tapes and then a while longer before Johnny transferred the Mountain Jam to DAT.

It wasn't long after the music was transferred that a copy of the DAT was given to Kirk West with the caveat he had to promise to not try to do anything with it. Johnny didn't think it would be anything Polygram would be interested in, but he felt honor bound to offer it to them in hope that the band and Berry and Duane's heirs would benefit from any sales. Polygram wasn't interested and the tape sat in our safe for a few more years.

After the record company passed, Johnny was all for releasing it for trading, however the original quality of the tape wasn't very good. When Skip offered his mastering services if we ever needed them, we sent him the Mountain Jam. Skip worked on it for several weeks before he felt it was ready to go and now, it's finally out there for everyone to enjoy.

At the time Skip was working on the CD we were trying to figure out where (and when) it was recorded. The box had Atlanta written on it and after doing some research Skip came up with the date originally listed on the disc - 5/23/70. Since the CD has been released and listened to, Johnny remembered the tape had been recorded at Alex Cooley's Ballroom.

I talked more with Johnny and got some additional information he remembered .... sometimes he has no idea what he knows until I drag it out of him .... but the tape for certain was recorded in Atlanta at an event promoted by Alex Cooley. I don't know who recorded it, but Duane got it to Johnny to keep."

The date on the original “Peach Cobbler 6” release of 5/23/70 was subsequently proven to be wrong. The general consensus at the time however, due to the development level of the Mountain Jam, was that it probably was from the spring of 1970 and so it became referred to as 5/??/70.  One thing that was verified was the venue, being the Ballroom at the Georgian Terrace Hotel in Atlanta.

Recently we have finally had the actual date of the gig confirmed. Bill Thames remembered attending the show and said that it had originally been scheduled to be at the Duke Tyre Warehouse, however following a legal injunction to move concerts closer to downtown Atlanta the gig was played at the Georgian Terrace Hotel (across from the Fox Theater). He recalled that it was on a weekend near Thanksgiving and the event was called the “Turkey Trip”. Further delving resulted in finding the poster for the show which listed the event as being on the weekend of Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd November, 1969. Ann Sandlin subsequently spoke with Bill Thames and confirmed that Johnny had been given the tape after the show on the Saturday 11/22/69.

Many thanks to Skip for his unending diligence in remastering this gem, to Ann for making sure this was available for us all to enjoy, to Johnny for keeping this treasure for us and of course to Duane who was absolutely on fire this night and surely must have realised what a wonderful recording it was that he was passing on to his friend.

01/16/70 @ Fillmore West, San Francisco  (1 disc)

01/26/70 @ University Of California, Riverside  (1 disc)  [aka 01/20/70]

There are only three genuine tracks from this date – “Blues Jam”, “In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed” & “Oh Pretty Woman” – but most versions also have “Dreams” as a filler track, which is actually from the 02/01/71 Whiskey A Go-Go show.

Whilst this show had previously been traded as 01/20/70, the correct date has been ascertained to be 01/26/70.

The ABB database has them listed as playing the Whiskey A-Go-Go in Los Angeles from Thursday 22nd to Sunday 25th inclusive, so with Riverside being a suburb of LA it would make sense that the free gig was during this time.  However, the ABB database also has them listed as playing the Fillmore West in San Francisco from Thursday 15th to Sunday 18th inclusive, so as they were on the west coast for that entire period then either date could potentially be true.

The first piece of evidence doubting the 01/20 date was the following extract from the UCR (University of California – Riverside) timeline database:

"Jan. 24, 1970 -- The Allman Brothers Band spend the afternoon playing soulful rock on the grassy knoll near the bell tower. Crowd size varies all day."

However, this date is also in doubt due to the following information provided by a friend of the taper who was in attendance, "tonewoods", who wrote the following:

"OK, if I had to bet the farm on a date, I would go with the 26th…

I'm probably the source for the 20th date, based on who-knows-what 35 years ago, this was way before I had access to the Whisky dates, the internet, etc. etc...

It was a guess, and in retrospect, a pretty good one...

I used to trade tapes heavily back in the day (including this one), and that's how the date got written into the record...

OK, here's what I do know...

Duane told me that they had just come from the Whiskey the previous evening, and I got the impression they were just killing time on a beautiful January day in the California desert on their way to the next gig...

They had a Winnebago, and an equipment truck...

I'd say this gig took place on a weekday. I remember cutting classes, and Craig (the taper) was on his way to class w/tape recorder in hand, by chance...

What circulates is probably my tape transfer (especially if your copy has the Whiskey "Dreams" tacked onto it)...

For you folks who haven't had a listen to the tape, Duane's solo on "Oh Pretty Woman" is worth the price of admission...

It smokes, and really stands the test of time, and just hints at what the band sounded like that day..."

"tonewoods" goes on to say:

"They just played the Whiskey the night before, and were not in any hurry to get anywhere, much less hustle back into LA, set up again, and resume their Whiskey engagement..."

As the final gig at the Whiskey was Sunday 25th, then this seems like a pretty convincing argument for Monday 26th being the correct date.

Confirmation of this date was finally provided from another UCR student who was also in attendance at the gig, Bruce Harvie, who on 26th January 2020 posted the following on the "Duane Allman ~ Skydog Fan Page" on Facebook:

"Two weeks ago I happened to be passing by the campus and decided to take a few pics of the Mall.  While there, I went to the library and looked up the student newspaper to see if I could nail down a date.  Score!  Joel Selvin - the well-known rock critic - was also a student at UCR (and I'm pretty sure had a hand in getting the band to play at UCR in the first place) and had written an article in the Highlander about that day."

Bruce posted a photo of the article which was dated Jan 30th 1970 and refers to the Allman Brothers having played at the campus the previous Monday, the 26th. 

In his post, Bruce also mentioned the following:

"Gregg was not singing ... throat problems from their recent stint at the Whiskey ... Berry sang a bunch ... I don't remember Duane singing, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did ..."

To read Bruce’s fascinating full account of that day complete with pictures, go to:

02/11/70 @ Fillmore East, NYC  (1 disc)

02/14/70 @ Fillmore East, NYC  (1 disc)

The above two shows already fell into a grey area with regards to tradability due to the 1997 commercial release by Grateful Dead Records – "Fillmore East Feb ‘70" – that was a compilation containing tracks from these two shows along with snippets from the partially recorded 2/13 show.  In 2018 the Owsley Stanley Foundation & ABB Recording Company re-released the compilation CD and also made available the original recordings of 2/11, 2/13 and 2/14, hence these shows are definitely no longer considered to be tradable. 

"Fillmore East February 1970" track list details are as follows:

1. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed (2/14)
  2. Hoochie Coochie Man (2/14)
  3. Statesboro Blues (2/11)
  4. Trouble No More (2/11)
  5. Outskirts Of Town (2/13 beginning & 2/14 ending) *
  6. Whipping Post (2/14)
  7. Mountain Jam (2/14 beginning & 2/13 drum solo to end) *

*  complete recordings from individual shows were not available due to tape flips, hence full tracks were created by splicing partial recordings from different nights.

Note that the Feb 70 compilation also crops up in trading circles listed as being the 02/13/70 show, this is bogus as only three tracks were recorded on 2/13.

03/13/70 @ The Warehouse, New Orleans  (1 disc)

{CaptSkipper Remaster available}

04/04/70 @ Ludlow Garage, Cincinnatti  (2 discs)

This show was not considered to be tradable following the 1990 commercial release “Live At Ludlow Garage 1970”, although the audience taped version of the show was still sought after as it was complete, including the track “In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed” that was omitted from the 1990 commercial release.  Subsequently, however, a superbly remastered version of the complete show was officially released in 2015 as bonus discs on the 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition re-issue of the "Idlewild South" album.

04/28/70 @ SUNY Gym, Stony Brook  (1 disc & 2 disc versions)

{scotiadave remaster available}

The Mountain Jam on the two disc version of this show is still incomplete (cutting out before the end) however it is 7 minutes longer than the MJ on the one disc version of this show that also circulates in the trading circles (perhaps curtailed by a bootlegger to get it to fit on one disc).

04/29/70 @ Aliotta's Lounge, Buffalo  (1 disc)

Not the best quality recording, but a notable show in ABB history for all the wrong reasons.  The band had just finished the second of two sets when Berry Oakley went to settle up with the owner, Angelo Aliotta.  The fee was meant to be $1,000 but Aliotta only gave Berry $500.  According to the New York Daily News, Oakley returned to the hotel and told Twiggs Lyndon.  Incensed, Lyndon grabbed a 10 inch fishing knife and went to the club.  Aliotta told Lyndon that he wasn't paying the band for the first show because they started late, but he would give them the money if they agreed to play the following night.  A fight broke out during which Aliotta was stabbed and died on the scene.  Lyndon was immediately arrested, held without bail and charged with first-degree murder.

What should have been an open-and-shut case soon turned into a debate about being on the road with a rock band and its effects on one's psyche.  John Condon Jr., the group's lawyer, chose a defence of temporary insanity, arguing that working for the hard-partying Allmans literally drove Lyndon crazy.  To prove his point, he called Oakley to the stand, and the following conversation took place:

“Did you take any dope in the last month?” Condon asked.

“Uh-huh,” Oakley said.

“In the last week?”

“Oh, yeah,” Oakley said.

“What about the last hour?”

“You bet,” Oakley replied.

Another tactic used by John Condon was to waive the right to a jury and let the judge, who could be more sympathetic, decide the case.  It worked.  Lyndon was declared not guilty by reason of insanity.  He was transferred from the jail where he had been held for the previous 18 months to a psychiatric ward, and was released from there after just six months.

05/02/70 @ Swarthmore College  (2 discs)

An excellent show with versions of “Outskirts of Town”, “Oh Pretty Woman” (Berry on vocals) and “Dimples” (Duane on vocals). Also has a guest appearance by Ted Deane of The Quill on sax (introduced by Duane at the start of Stormy Monday).

06/14/70 @ Piedmont Park, Atlanta  (1 disc)

There are only three genuine tracks from this date – “Oh Pretty Woman”, “In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed” & “Blues Jam” (a different jam to the one on 01/26/70) – but most versions also have a “Mountain Jam” filler track, which is actually from the 09/27/70 Piedmont Park show.

??/??/70 ("TAMPA ’70") @ Fort Homer W Hesterly Armory, Tampa  (1 disc)

{CaptSkipper remaster available}

This is a partial recording of the first set of an ABB gig with Gregg conspicuously absent, consequently Duane (and oddly, not Berry) takes over the vocal duties, and Reese Wynans sits in on keyboards. The recording begins by fading in at towards the end of Statesboro Blues which then goes on into an extended jam ending.

1. Statesboro Blues Jam
  2. Trouble No More (Duane vocal)
  3. Goin' Down Slow (Duane vocal)
  4. Tuning
  5. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

At the end of this recording, Duane says "we'll be right back in 5 minutes". One can only hope that another tape reel with Set 2 shows up somewhere down the line.

Recorded by Dave Boswell ~ Tape Transfer by Matt Smith

Lineage: MR > ? >> BASF reel @ 3-3/4 IPS > Akai GX-636 > Apogee Mini Me (24/96) > Apogee Mini > Dac (monitoring/mastering) > Wavelab 5.0 (Dithered to 16/44) > CD > Capt. Skipper for further mastering.

Bruce (tonewoods), who provided this recording to the ABB trading community stated the following:

"I'm calling this recording "Tampa '70" for no other reason than that is what was written on the tape box, but the truth is we don't have confirmation as to the date and venue."

Skip (CaptSkipper) Littlewood subsequently added:

"Pretty sure we got us a venue for the show.  My buddy, Jack Weston, got through to Reese Wynans today and chatted.  Reese said he remembers the show and that Duane called him to play.  His recollection, that he said he is 98% sure of, is that the gig was at the Tampa National Guard Armory (Fort Homer W Hesterly).  Unfortunately, he could not pin down a date."

07/03/70 @ Atlanta Pop Festival, Byron  (2 discs)

07/05/70 @ Atlanta Pop Festival, Byron  (2 discs)

The above two shows are not considered to be tradable any longer due to the 2003 commercial release “Live At The Atlanta International Pop Festival”.

07/09/70 @ SUNY Stony Brook  (1 disc)

{Masahiko Remaster available}

1. Dreams
  2. Midnight Rider
  3. Elizabeth Reed
  4. Whipping Post >
  5. Mountain Jam

This recording was obtained for us by Anthony Spare, an ex SUNY student who only just started collecting live shows last year (2016). He told us the following:

"I ran into George Geranios via the ABB Stony Brook comment section on YouTube a few months ago in 2016, and he sent me this CD in the mail stating it is Seth Dworken's recording of the 7/9/70 Stony Brook Summer Orientation Pre-Concert."

When the date of the show was brought into question, due to the known show on 7/10/70 when the ABB opened for Mountain, Anthony went on to say:

"I spoke with George again and specifically asked him about the date. George said it was a warm up solo gig by the ABB and it for sure happened on the 9th, he was in attendance along with Seth Dworken.  He said that there were maybe 50 people in the Gym, and it was billed as an "Orientation Pre-Concert".  The early show on the 10th (which George also has a recording of) was the "regular concert" where the ABB opened for Mountain. That is why the early show on the 10th is shorter, it is an opening act set.  On the 9th they stretched out because they could. No other act played."

Moyssi, who was a lighting director for SUNY Stony Brook during this time and was friends with both George Geranios and Seth Dworken who ran the sound, adds the following:

"My favorite fact is that we paid the Allman Brothers all of $300 for their first gig in our gym. It was a Thursday night with just the ABB in 1970, followed by them opening for two shows with Mountain on Friday. ABB did Stormy Monday, which Mountain also did as the headliner. After the early show, Leslie West wisely asked if he could open for ABB on the late show. What a friggin' wonderful show that turned out to be.

Many, most, maybe all of those shows were recorded with permission on an Ampex 300 or 301 from the sound mixer. Seth Dworkin was the mixer - a brainiac who went on to win a Grammy with the Grateful Dead and direct satellite operations for Wall Street Journal - he kept all the original recordings (made on Scotch professional 1/4" tape supplied by me). He died of Crohn's disease last summer, just after we got reacquainted and he verified that he still had all the tapes.

The Problem is that I can't figure out how to get in touch with the family and those tapes would need careful attention. I had a primary dub of the 1970 ABB/Mountain gig and ABB's archivist, Kirk West, told me it was the best FOH mixer recording he'd ever heard of the band. That was after they released the famous 1971 performance at Stony Brook that was recorded just weeks before the tragic motorcycle fatalities."

07/10/70 @ SUNY Stony Brook – Late Show ~ Partial (1 disc) [aka Early Show]

1. Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
  2. Stormy Monday
  3. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
  4. You Don't Love Me

Whilst this show has been traded as the shorter Early Show (when they opened for Mountain) after Stormy Monday Duane clearly says “we know you late night people like the blues, so there you have it”.  I don’t think he would have referred to the audience at the early matinee show as “late night people” so I therefore think that this is probably a partial recording of the late show.

Furthermore, for information purposes, comparing the stage banter between the tracks on this recording and those on the 07/10/70 (aka 07/26/70) Early & Late Show Compilation, only Elizabeth Reed would appear to be a different version, the other three tracks and stage banter are the same on both recordings.

(See 07/09/70 above for further background info on this recording)

07/10/70 [aka 07/26/70] @ SUNY Stony Brook – Early & Late Show Compilation  (1 disc)

1. Don't Keep Me Wonderin'
  2. Stormy Monday
  3. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
  4. You Don't Love Me
  5. Dreams
  6. Mountain Jam

Whilst 07/26/70 is the date that this show has often been traded under, the correct date is actually 07/10/70.

The first piece of evidence regarding the correct date for the show was provided by Don (dzobo) Sobocinski, who was attending SUNY at the time.  He wrote the following:

"I'd like to clear up the date regarding the band's performance at Stony Brook in July (1970). During that summer, Stony Brook ran a special summer concert series that as an SB student on Long Island I had a particular interest in. The Allman Brothers only performed once (that summer), and that was as an opener for Mountain. I was at that show. Based on the work I was doing that summer, I could not have attended a Sunday show. I was working at Jones Beach and management requested that you work on weekends (especially Sundays, by far the busiest day) and take your off days Monday through Friday.  7/10/70 was a Friday and 7/26/70 a Sunday, so the show that actually occurred has to be 7/10/70.  I know all the tape copies continue to list 7/26/70, and I believe that the set list and locale are correct, but the date is 7/10/70. Specifically I remember the show I attended opened with "Don't Keep Me Wonderin" which was a pretty rare event. I also recall "Stormy Monday" and "Mountain Jam"."

The second set of clues come from the ABB database.  It has SUNY shows listed under both dates, however, for the 7/10/70 show, the database states that the date has been verified by a ticket stub, whereas for the 7/26/70 show, it states that according to the archivist for Mountain they were in Jacksonville on this night playing with Jethro Tull, and so could not have played at SUNY with the ABB this night.

The final verification came from Skip (captskipper) Littlewood, who wrote:

"To further comment on the verification of the 7/10/70 date, I contacted a fellow about a year ago who was on the Stony Brook sound and light crew who actually helped put that tape together. Just for everyone's info & records, the circulating material is in fact a compilation of the early and late shows from 7/10/70 and not one show."

It is therefore confirmed that 07/10/70 is the correct date for the show(s), a fact that is further verified by the discovery of the 07/09/70 show above.

07/17/70 @ Love Valley Festival  (2 discs)

07/19/70 @ Love Valley Festival  (1 disc)

09/04/70 @ The Scene, Milwaukee  (2 discs)

09/23/70 @ Fillmore East, NYC  (1 DVD - Video)

09/27/70 @ Piedmont Park, Atlanta  (1 disc)  –  Mountain Jam only

10/14/70 @ Leon Cole Auditorium, Jacksonville  (1 disc)

Many thanks to Andy Van Noy who supplied me with a digital copy of an old tape he had received labelled “Jacksonville 1970”

In order to try to establish that the recording was a genuine show new to the trading fraternity and also a possible date for it, I listened to it quite thoroughly and the first thing I concentrated on was “Revival”. There are only seven known genuine recordings in circulation that have this track on them and so I listened to them all, my conclusion was that the version on this recording was definitely different to all of them, not only in sound but also none of the other versions have the "reee-vival" comment at the end. Hence, this could indeed be a new show, but, there were still certain aspects that made me wary.

The tape was obviously not an original recording because the start of "Whipping Post" could be heard at the end of "You Don't Love Me" on side one as well as being there at the start of side 2, therefore at the very least this was a copy that had been split differently to the original (possibly a reel to reel tape to cassette transfer). There was also a very obvious difference in sound quality between some of the tracks - most notably "Liz Reed" is quite muffled whereas the next track after a cut is "Revival" which is crystal clear by comparison, so this could have been due to someone compiling tracks from different shows ... but then you ask, if that is the case why leave in the bad cut at the end of “Trouble No More” and the beginning of “Don’t Keep Me Wondering” when neither of those tracks are particularly worth keeping for anything other than completeness.  What I did know for sure was that “Revival”, and by extension “You Don't Love Me” & “Whipping Post” which follow on from each other, are of the same good quality are definitely different to any other recording I have.

Subsequently, a friend of a friend who is a sound engineer was able to examine the recording with his equipment and confirmed that the recording was all from the same source and not spliced together from different sources.  I was already pretty sure that it was as all the tracks had the same vibe throughout, but that muffled Liz Reed had been nagging at me so it was nice to have it confirmed that it is definitely a new show not previously circulated.

With regards to the date, having listened closely to the version of “You Don’t Love Me” on this show and compared it with the versions on 9/4/70 and 12/31/70 my opinion is that this “Jacksonville” version is slightly more sophisticated and developed than the 9/4/70 version, but not quite as well developed and extended as the 12/31/70 version, suggesting that this show was between those two show dates.  Admittedly the latter being a NYE gig was a stretched out show where they even put Auld Lang Syne into the mix, but it was also by then starting to sound more like the Fillmore versions that would follow.  Furthermore, I also noticed that on the 9/4/70 show Duane more than once referred to songs being from “our new album” (which of course was due for release just a couple of weeks later) whereas on the Jacksonville recording he refers to songs being from “our second album” which suggests that it is after the release date of 9/23/70.

Therefore, checking the ABB calendar for shows in 1970, the gig at the Leon Cole Auditorium in Jacksonville on 10/14/70 would seem favourite in my opinion and thus why I label it as such here.  I don’t suppose we will ever know for sure, but isn’t it wonderful to still hear new Duane era stuff after all these years?

12/13/70 @ American University, Washington DC  (2 discs)

NOT FOR TRADE  –  ABB Archive #1 Commercial Release

12/31/70 @ The Warehouse, New Orleans  (3 discs)

John Dubois (who worked at The Warehouse and later taped the 09/16/71 ABB show) tells us:

"The taper of the New Years Eve ABB 12/31/70 Warehouse show was my friend Chaffe, in the audience with a brand new invention called the portable stereo cassette recorder. Chaffe and his high school buddies, ultra-ABB-fans, with the intention of just having a home personal recording of the band recorded the show, complete with comical comments & NYE interviews:  ("A man from Lafayette..."; "Sit down you bastards !" ;  "Fkn dynamite man"... "yeah they are"!)."

01/17/71 @ Syria Mosque, Pittsburg  (1 disc)

{CaptSkipper Remaster available - V2 in 2014}

01/23/71 @ Capitol Theater, Port Chester - Early Show  (1 disc)

1. Statesboro Blues
  2. Trouble No More
  3. Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’
  4. Midnight Rider
  5. Dreams
  6. You Don’t Love Me
  7. Whipping Post

01/23/71 @ Capitol Theater, Port Chester - Late Show  (1 disc)

1. Statesboro Blues
  2. Trouble No More
  4. In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
  5. Midnight Rider
  6. You Don’t Love Me
  7. Johnny B Goode
  8. Whipping Post
  9. Hot 'Lanta

01/28/71 @ Fillmore West, San Francisco (1 disc)

1. Statesboro Blues
  2. Trouble No More
  5. Midnight Rider
  6. Dreams
  7. You Don’t Love Me
  8. Whipping Post

01/29/71 @ Winterland, San Francisco (1 track only – Whipping Post)

Regarding the venue for this show, according to Kim Payne (ABB Roadie) the show on the 29th was actually played at Winterland, and not the Fillmore West.  In further discussions about this, Joseph Campbell (ABB Roadie “Red Dog”) also recalled having to move Gregg's Hammond B3 Organ across the city for one show at Winterland after a show at the Fillmore West.  So it would seem that although the ABB had originally been booked to play the 28th, 29th, 30th & 31st at the Fillmore West, after playing there on the 28th for some reason (possibly technical or booking issues) they had to move over to Winterland for the show on the 29th, and then go back to the Fillmore for the shows on the 30th & 31st.

There are two bogus versions in circulation purporting to be this show. One is just a copy of 1/28 with a bit of manipulation of the crowd noise and stage banter between the tracks to give the impression that the recording is from a different show.  The other is a bit more devious in that it has stage banter from other shows inserted between the tracks.  This was proven by sonic analysis (thanks to Steve Cogley aka “oldcoot”) which also showed that some of the tracks had actually been fabricated by splicing together sections from different recordings.

It is therefore thought that no genuine recording exists of the full show at Winterland on 1/29, however there is a recording from a radio show that is in circulation, where the DJ announces "And now, live from Winterland, here’s Whipping Post from the Allman Brothers".  This one track is considered to be the only authentic recording from the show on 01/29/71, and may well be what has been used on the second of the bogus shows referred to above.

01/30/71 @ Fillmore West, San Francisco  (1 disc)

1. Statesboro Blues
  2. Trouble No More
  5. Stormy Monday
  6. You Don’t Love Me
  7. Whipping Post

01/31/71 @ Fillmore West, San Francisco  (2 discs)

The previously freely traded version of this show was an audience recording that had the following track list:

DISC 1

1. Statesboro Blues
  2. Trouble No More
  5. Midnight Rider
  6. Hoochie Coochie Man
  7. Dreams

DISC 2

1. You Don’t Love Me
  2. Hot ’Lanta
  3. Whipping Post

There was also a second version of this show which was a remastered soundboard recording that had been prepared as part of the ABB Archive Release programme. This was not issued but copies are known to exist in private trading circles with the following track list:  Disc 1 - Statesboro Blues / Trouble No More / Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’ / In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed / Midnight Rider / Hoochie Coochie Man / Dreams / You Don’t Love Me … Disc 2 - Hot ’Lanta / Whipping Post / One Way Out # / Mountain Jam #

# Filler Tracks: “One Way Out” is from the 06/16/71 show at the Municipal Auditorium in Birmingham and “Mountain Jam” is from the 03/13/70 show at the Warehouse in New Orleans.

The above three Fillmore West shows are not considered to be tradable any longer due to the 2019 commercial release "Fillmore West '71".

02/01/71 [aka 10/02/71] @ Whiskey A Go-Go, LA  (1 disc)

There are only five genuine tracks from this date – “Statesboro Blues”, “Don’t Keep Me Wondering”, “Midnight Rider”, “Dreams” & “Hot ’Lanta” – but most traded versions also have a “Mountain Jam” filler track, which is actually from the 07/21/71 Central Park (late) show.

There has been some debate over the correct date for this show, which is also often traded as 10/02/71.  There is not much of a clue in the set list, as the tracks on this recording could be from either date.  There is also not much of a geographical clue from the known concert dates adjacent to the two possible dates either, because 02/01 is directly after the four shows at the Fillmore West (& Winterland) in San Fransisco, and the October date is sandwiched between a San Diego gig and a Washington State gig at the start of an autumn West Coast run.  Perhaps Sat 2nd Oct, with a known gig on the Friday before and the Sunday after, might be considered the more likely of the two dates, especially with Mon 1st Feb being after a Thursday to Sunday four day run in San Francisco, but this is not conclusive.

The most convincing evidence in favour of the October date is a series of photographs of Duane (allegedly) from the “Whiskey” where he is playing his Les Paul Tobacco Sunburst, which he did not get until June ’71.  If these photos are from the “Whiskey”, then it may well be that the ABB played there on both dates, because the overwhelming evidence that is in favour of this recording being from the February date comes from the recording itself, where at the end of the last track Duane says to the audience “That’s a new song we just played for you, it’s called Hot ‘Lanta”.  This track was far from new by October.  Furthermore, in mid '71 Duane and Dickey switched their order of solos on "Statesboro Blues" and on this recording it is in the earlier format.  So, in conclusion, these last two facts make Whiskey A Go-Go verifiable as 02/01/71.

02/28/71 @ Brewer Field House, Columbia  (2 discs)

There are two recording sources of this show, a partial show recording that is of reasonably good quality and a complete show recording that is of poorer quality.  What is normally traded is a hybrid, mixed source show.

03/13/71 @ Fillmore East, NYC  (2 discs)

This recording was never considered to be tradable due to some of the tracks being on the commercial release “At Fillmore East” (which is a compilation of live tracks from different nights / shows of the March 1971 run).  This is a partial show recording of the 03/13/71 late show comprising six tracks, four of which being versions that are on the “At Fillmore East” album, and two “Statesboro Blues” & “One Way Out” that are not.  Subsequently, in 2015 a box set of all of the 1971 Fillmore East shows was released ("The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings") which includes the complete 3/13 show.

03/20/71 @ The Warehouse, New Orleans  (3 discs)

{CaptSkipper Remaster available of Disc 3 only - "Mountain Jam"}

03/25/71 @ St. Catherine's, Minneapolis  (1 disc)

04/??/71 @ Ski Lodge (Gatlinburg Studios)  (2 discs)

There is a single disc compilation that has been in circulation for many years. This was remastered by Capt Skipper and split onto two discs, with two bonus tracks added at the end.  The first being a studio rehearsal of “Loan Me A Dime” by Boz Scaggs with Duane, and the second being the only known live recording of “Little Martha” by Duane, which was recorded backstage at the Municipal Auditorium in Birmingham on 06/16/71.

DISC 1: Chat / Ramblin' Country Man / 99 & 99 / E Minor Jam / Long Time Gone / Traditional Blues Medley @ / Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed / Blue Sky Jams

DISC 2: My Favourite Things Jam / Blues Jam #1 / Blues Jam #2 / Blues Jam #3 / Blues Jam #4 / Blues Jam #5 / Loan Me A Dime * / Little Martha **

@ The snippets of songs that make up the “Traditional Blues Medley” are as follows:

In The Jailhouse Now (Jimmie Rodgers) > Pistol Packin’ Papa (Rodgers) > I Can’t Be Satisfied (Muddy Waters) > Broke Down Engine (Blind Willie McTell) > Kind Hearted Woman (Robert Johnson) > Travellin’ Riverside Blues (Johnson) > Stones In My Passway (Johnson) > Come On In My Kitchen (Johnson) > Your Cheatin’ Heart (Hank Williams)

*  Studio rehearsal by Boz Scaggs with Duane Allman
** Backstage @ Birmingham, Alabama - 06 / 16 / 71

05/02/71 @ CCNY, NYC  (2 discs)

05/09/71 @ Overton Park, Memphis  (1 disc)

06/05/71 @ The Warehouse, New Orleans  (1 disc)

John Dubois (who worked at the Warehouse and later taped the 09/16/71 ABB show) tells us:

"The tapers of ABB 06/05/71 are the same crew that taped the New Years Eve ABB 12/31/70 Warehouse show, being my friend Chaffe and his high school buddies, ultra-ABB-fans, with the intention of just having a home personal recording of the band. So, Chaffe was the source for ABB 06/05/71."

06/16/71 @ Municipal Auditorium, Birmingham  (1 disc)

There are two recording sources of this show, one complete and one partial, the partial recording being slightly better quality than the complete one.

06/27/71 @ Fillmore East, NYC  (1 disc)

This recording is no longer tradable as the deluxe version of “Eat A Peach” released in 2006 has this show as a bonus second disc thus making it commercially available.  The commercial release does not have the introduction by Bill Graham, however, neither does it have all of the comments by Duane between tracks.

07/05/71 @ Steel Pier, Atlantic City  (1 disc)

07/17/71 @ Municipal Auditorium, Atlanta – Early Show  (2 discs)

(This recording is missing the "Mountain Jam" encore)

07/21/71 @ Central Park, NYC – Early Show  (1 disc)

07/21/71 @ Central Park, NYC – Late Show  (2 discs)

07/24/71 @ Superball Fest, St Paul  (1 disc)

08/14/71 @ Richmond Arena  (1 disc)

08/15/71 @ Academy Of Music, NYC  (2 discs)

(The first of only four known live recordings with Duane playing Blue Sky)

08/17/71 @ Boston Common  (1 disc)

NOT FOR TRADE  –  ABB Archive #5 Commercial Release

08/26/71 @ A&R Studios, NYC  (1 disc)

This recording is no longer tradable due to the 2016 commercial release by the ABB.

09/03/71 @ Place des Nations, Montreal, Canada (2 discs)

Presented to us by Steve Cogley (aka oldcoot) in celebration of the monumental occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the forming of the band. Steve describes the recording as follows:

"This is a rough sounding audience source of lesser quality that has chatter, some foul language and has only one really tremendous thing going for it … the original line-up of the Allman Brothers Band!!!  It’s a fairly standard set, but, there are a couple of nice wrinkles to it, because you just never knew where Duane might take the band on any given night."

DISC 1

1. Statesboro Blues
  2. Trouble No More
  4. Done Somebody Wrong
  5. One Way Out
  6. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
  7. Whipping Post
  8. Jam > Layla tease > Jam > Revival

DISC 2

1. You Don’t Love Me >
  2. Soul Serenade >
  3. You Don’t Love Me

09/11/71 @ Littlejohn Coliseum, Clemson  (2 discs)

(The second of only four known live recordings with Duane playing Blue Sky)

There was a one disc partial show version available as a bootleg that was slightly better quality than the two disc complete show (although from the same source tape).  Masahiko’s remaster combines the partial show bootleg version with the missing tracks from the original source to provide a complete show.

09/16/71 @ The Warehouse, New Orleans  (3 discs)

(The third of only four known live recordings with Duane playing Blue Sky)

This show is considered by most to be as good as it gets with regards to Duane era ABB shows.  The most recent remaster of it was completed by CaptSkipper in January 2007 from John Dubois’ V3 extraction from the original tapes, and his comments were as follows:

"Well, after about a year of it I’ve finally finished up the new updated 9/16/71.  The source is from the original John Dubois recording of the Warehouse show in New Orleans.  John told me on the phone that the tape deck used for the new transfer is a Sony TC 355, on which he re-aligned the play heads and added an additional potentiometer to control the tape speed due to linear speed-ups and slow-downs on the original tape.  This source is the 3rd transfer John has done of this superb show, and his best effort yet as far as I’m concerned.  The original deck used for recording the show was hidden off to the side of the stage, and the AKG Dynamic vocal microphones were hidden (not hanging) in the rafters.  According to John, the silent gap in the Whipping Post was not due to the recorder running out of tape, but rather when he actually had the opportunity to get to the tape deck undetected to flip the tape to side two.  The Whipping Post silent gap has again been patched, as in my other re-master of it, although I like this patch better (my apologies to the purist collectors for repairing the gap).  Along with the normal mastering procedures, a great deal of the time spent on this project was aimed at trying to bring up Gregg’s vocals that were low in the original recording.  I feel I was successful bringing the vocal presence up to some extent and hope the traders enjoy this updated re-master (which by the way probably won’t be the last effort on this great recording by John Dubois).  Many thanks to John for having the foresight to record this, and I also thank John for the opportunity to work on his show”  –  CaptSkipper (Jan 2007)."

John DuBois has since made a couple of newer extractions from the original tapes, the latest of which (V5) is the cleanest yet, but to date (April 2017) this has not been remastered to bring out the vocals.  John's story regarding the taping is documented in: "The Taping Story of 9/16/71, The Allman Brothers Band at a Warehouse", link below:

www.blackstrat.net/TapeStory.html

09/17/71 @ Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis  (1 disc)

09/19/71 @ SUNY, Stony Brook  (1 disc)

This show is not considered to be tradable due to the ABB Archive #2 commercial release.  The ABB Archive #2 is a two disc version, and is the fourth of only four known recordings with Duane playing Blue Sky.  The originally traded version, however, is a one disc version that when compared to the commercial release would appear to be missing “Blue Sky”, "You Don’t Love Me” and "Mountain Jam”.  It comprises seven tracks, five of which are the same versions that are on the commercial release, but two “One Way Out” & “In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed” that are different, suggesting that perhaps the commercial release is a combination of tracks from the early and late shows, whereas the originally traded show might be just from the early show.

09/28/71 @ Municipal Auditorium, Austin, Texas

NOT FOR TRADE  –  ABB Big House Museum Commercial Release

“Down in Texas 71”

Set List

Statesboro Blues  #1

Trouble No More

Don't Keep Me Wonderin' *

Done Somebody Wrong *

One Way Out

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed *  #2

Stormy Monday *

You Don't Love Me *

Hot 'Lanta *  #3

* with Juicy Carter on sax

#1  Statesboro Blues cuts in at the start - missing half a minute or so

#2  Liz Reed has a cut in the middle - missing Duane's solo

#3  Hot 'Lanta cuts out at about 3:20 - missing last couple of minutes or so

The recording is also missing the second encore - Revival

The commercial release has a second disc containing an interview with Berry Oakley and Duane Allman recorded in Houston on 6th June 1971

There was a review of the 9/28/71 Austin show published in "The Rag, Volume 5, issue 41 on 10/4/1971", the following is an extract from that review:

The Allman Brothers started playing some of their well-known blues numbers only to stop to announce that the fire marshals were going to stop the show if everyone didn't return to their seats and stop crowding the aisles. Duane Allman asked if we knew who the fire marshals were – they're the guys who tried to be cops but couldn't make it!  Then the band continued with a fantastic jam based on "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed," Dickie Betts' song, and Betts played long, sinuous lead lines. The band had a horn player with them, who didn't do much except on a couple of numbers when he played some Coltrane like lines that fitted in perfectly with the piercing guitars and the thundering drums.  When the Allmans were finished their audience wasn't. A massive ovation continued for about 10 minutes until our heroes returned for one last song, a rousing version of "People can you feel it, Love is everywhere" with the audience singing along. If it hadn't been for the crowd, they wouldn't have done that second encore, but as one of the drummers said, "after all that yelling, they deserve it."

09/??/71 [aka 9/28/71 Austin] (Partial ~ 1 disc)

For many years this partial recording had been traded as being from the 9/28/71 Austin show, but following the official commercial release above it is clearly not from that show as there are distinct differences between the recordings. I don’t suppose that after all these years we will ever find out where / when this partial recording is from, but it is definitely different to all other known recordings so collectors will still want this in their collection.

Track List

// Statesboro Blues (ending only)

Trouble No More

// Done Somebody Wrong (partial)

One Way Out

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

Hot ‘Lanta // (partial)

10/15/71 @ Syria Mosque, Pittsburgh  (1 disc)

10/17/71 @ Painters Mill Music Fair, Owings Mills, MD

NOT FOR TRADE  –  ABB Commercial Release

“The Final Note”

Set List

Statesboro Blues

Trouble No More

Don't Keep Me Wonderin'

Done Somebody Wrong

One Way Out

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (incomplete)

Hot 'Lanta

Whipping Post

Duane Allman’s final show with the band, just 12 days later, on October 29, Duane tragically lost his life in a motorcycle accident at just 24 years of age.

Prior to this official release, all of the recordings that have previously been in trading circles for many years purporting to be from this date have been proven to be false.  They were either a show from another date being passed off as Duane’s final show, or fake a show fabricated by the amalgamation of various tracks from other shows by an unscrupulous bootlegger.

The actual show’s recording was captured on a hand-held cassette machine by 18-year-old radio journalist Sam Idas, who said  “My only intention was to record an interview.  This was a brand-new cassette recorder with an internal microphone, and I had one 60-minute cassette tape.  I was sitting there with the recorder in my lap and I remember thinking ‘Why don’t I try this out?  I can record the concert!’  It was a totally spontaneous decision.  I’d been to many concerts, but this was the only time I had the thought and the motivation to record the show.”

According to a press release, the cassette went forgotten by Idas for more than forty years until his old roommate asked him if he still had it. Fortunately for us, he did.

LAST UPDATED 04 / 13 / 23 … (10/14/70 added)

This topic was modified 3 years ago 12 times by harvey
This topic was modified 12 months ago by harvey

Posted : September 2, 2020 3:47 pm
Randall reacted
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member
Topic starter

For those of you wishing to access the various discussions regarding the above list of recordings on the old "blue" site, this is the link:

https://blue.allmanbrothersband.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=65824

Posted : September 2, 2020 3:49 pm
Wayne
(@wayne)
Estimable Member

I always enjoy going through this post Harvey, thanks for keeping it updated. I think I have them all through all of the trades over the years of people I have met here and Skip sending them to me. It will be interesting to hear what the ABB management team is going to do with those Texas shows they are asking about for items related to it.

Posted : September 4, 2020 8:38 am
harvey reacted
RAB
 RAB
(@rab)

Ann Sandlin on the Duck Tape Music FB page yesterday:

Heres a link to the Mountain Jam we’ve been talking about for those of you who want to hear it. It was recorded Saturday Nov 23, 1969 at the Georgian Terrace Ballroom (later renamed Alex Cooleys Electric Ballroom) after the tire company where they were going to hold it was condemned. The concert was called The Turkey Trip. The tape was found in our garage and was pretty unlistenable until Captn Skip Littlewood mastered it and saved this gem.

Posted : October 12, 2020 7:21 am
PeachNutt reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

Thank you so much bigann & RAB!! Duane really jumps in during Dickey’s solo, love that😎

Posted : October 12, 2020 10:27 am
RAB
 RAB
(@rab)

@stephen Sorry, didn't point out that this is what has been previously identified as 5/??/70.

Posted : October 12, 2020 11:50 am
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member
Topic starter

So good to finally have a date for this show ... Skip originally thought it was May 1970 and although we bottomed out the venue as being the Georgian Terrace Ballroom (having been moved from the Duke Tyre Warehouse) we never did get the date sorted. 

Bill Thames had said he was at the show and thought it was called the Turkey Trip but we ascertained that it couldn't have been Thanksgiving weekend in 1970 as the dates didn't fit the tour schedule .... don't know why but we never even thought about it being from 1969 ... great that Ann Sandlin has shared this wonderful recording again that was given to Johnny by Duane ... thank you!

I will update the master list above tomorrow ... Cool  
This post was modified 3 years ago by harvey

Posted : October 12, 2020 6:19 pm
PeachNutt reacted
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Had a quick chat with Ann Sandlin and it is confirmed that the show is actually SATURDAY 11/22/69

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by harvey

Posted : October 12, 2020 7:39 pm
PeachNutt reacted
Stephen
(@stephen)
Famed Member

@rabyes that’s how mine was labeled - “Georgia Terrace Hotel, Date, ?” As was said, great to have the date narrowed down & ID’d - watta gem, w/the DWYNM/CTB at the end 

thanks for the post too Harvey, Great info & have only read a little of it

Posted : October 12, 2020 7:47 pm
harvey reacted
rlittlewood
(@rlittlewood)
Trusted Member

ok on dis youtube thingy dude posted he cut off da encore of dwynm/not my cross,,,,,,,,,,so if you got peach cobbler 6 you got da whole last parta dat show,,,,,,,,and thanks to bill thames its FINALLY a date!!,,,,,,

i are mrs. capt skipper

Posted : October 12, 2020 9:57 pm
harvey reacted
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member
Topic starter

List updated with correct date and further info for 11/22/69

This post was modified 3 years ago by harvey

Posted : October 13, 2020 7:32 am
PeachNutt reacted
(@Anonymous)

Hi, if anyone has any of these Captain Skipper or Masahiko remasters and is willing to share please let me know. I really would like more Duane tapes, they are just too precious. I have tapes from all eras I'd be willing to trade. 

Thanks, Andy

Posted : October 13, 2020 6:38 pm
rlittlewood
(@rlittlewood)
Trusted Member

seems youtube took da video down for sumn bout copyright issues wit ABB,,,,,,,,,,,abb dont own no copyright to dat,,my husband do,,,,,,,,and ann sandlin owns da resta dat show,,,,,its da same peach cobbler 6 dat got traded forever several years ago,,,,,,cep dude cut off da encore for some stupid reason,,,

i are mrs. capt skipper

Posted : October 13, 2020 8:49 pm
RAB
 RAB
(@rab)

Another update from Ann yesterday on FB:

Ok. After talking with Bill and comparing notes about what he remembers and what Johnny told me about we are about 99% the Mountain Jam was recorded Saturday November 22, 1969 at the Georgian Terrace Ballroom after the event was moved from the Duke Tire Company. And that’s final 😁

Posted : October 16, 2020 11:32 am
PeachNutt and harvey reacted
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member
Topic starter

List updated to include "Down in Texas 71"

Posted : February 19, 2021 11:20 am
PeachNutt reacted
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks to Billastro for spotting that I hadn't added the Aliotta's Lounge recording to the list ... I had updated the file on my computer some time last year, but obviously forgot to upload the info into this thread. If only these brain cells weren't quite so illusive these days! I have now updated the thread accordingly.

Posted : March 14, 2021 11:40 am
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

Thanks, my brother!

Billastro

Posted : March 14, 2021 6:04 pm
harvey reacted
ABB654
(@abb654)

Greetings,

While I have absolutely no first hand knowledge or any special tapes or anything I had a little fun with some detective work and trying to sort out some pieces of the puzzle to better understand:  http://abbdiscography.duaneallman.info/cdrfirstflight.htm I spent some time listening to the version I had.  It is a really rough sound kinda hard to listen to but man what a piece of history!  Here's what I came up with:

CD# / T #

Band

Venue

D1 T1-6 & D2 T1

Original Second Coming (Duane, Dickey, Berry, Butch; Jaimoe; and Reese Wynans on keys - no Gregg) Jacksonville Armory Jacksonville, Florida

** D2 T1 Dayle Betts vocals **

Jacksonville Armory Jacksonville, Florida?

D2 T2

versions of Second Coming (Duane, Dickey Betts, Richard Hombre Price {Bass}, Butch, Jaimo, Reese Wynans on keys - no Gregg) Not March 30th.  Cedar Hills Armory

?Cedar Hills Armory?per Richard Hombre Price

D2  3 &4

versions of Second Coming (Duane, Dickey Betts, Richard Hombre Price {Bass}, Butch, Jaimo, Reese Wynans on keys {per announcer introduction end of T3 - no Gregg) Not March 30th.  Cedar Hills Armory then alleged to Jacksonville Beach Coliseum but I think it is the same?

?Cedar Hills Armory?

then allegedly Jacksonville Beach Coliseum (Richard Hombre Price) but seems to be a continuation to me - who knows!  Annoucner Talks about gonna play some travelin' music and then the name of the song/jam is traveling music!?

Richard Hombre Price says he has the original sound board that would be mighty cool to hear!  I sent him a message through his web site (probably like twenty million other people) but to date have not heard back from him.  Cool history that remains largely a mystery for ever most likely!  

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by ABB654

Posted : April 8, 2021 3:02 pm
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member
Topic starter

@abb654 ... this is the first item in my list above (first post) and all my information also came from Richard Price several years ago.

Posted : April 8, 2021 5:44 pm
Rotoscope
(@rotoscope)

Hello tape-trading bro and sisterhood. My Duane tape trading and collecting goes back to the 70s and though I’ve not been active for many years now, one of my bucket list items has been to go through all my cassettes, reels and DATs, and archive everything to FLAC and hard drive. I am so thrilled that fellow collectors have taken the time to properly index the recordings of Duane that have been in circulation. It’s been decades of work. According to my inventory, I believe I have most everything that’s out there, though I’m sure there I’m missing a few. My challenge at the moment is to properly index and label the tapes I have, as many of you know, there’s been much misinformation regarding the dates and locations of shows, not to mention the various edits that circulated over the years. Assuming that my fellow members here are better informed as to the Duane archives than I am at this point, I have a few questions. Can anyone ID the accurate labels for the following recordings?

1. The “Last Jam” aka “Statesboro Blues” LP bootleg is what show? 

2. A show labeled Winterland and/or Fillmore West where someone close to the mic shouts (enthusiastically) “No Shit!” after the band is introduced.

3. An unlabeled board tape where Duane says during a break something like, “We enjoyed it last year and we’ll enjoy it next year.

Any help with these is greatly appreciated. Cheers to all!

Posted : February 15, 2023 4:30 pm
oldcoot
(@oldcoot)
Famed Member

My recollection is the "last jam" show is a bogus one passed off as something different but was actually a different, previously available traded show.

The second one is January 28, 1971 Fillmore West.

The third is familiar to me but I'm not recalling the exact show and date. It would take some listening through to different shows to be certain.

"My friends say I'm ugly I got a masculine face." Tom Waits

Posted : February 16, 2023 12:05 pm
harvey reacted
salcapitano
(@salcapitano)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @oldcoot

My recollection is the "last jam" show is a bogus one passed off as something different but was actually a different, previously available traded show.

The second one is January 28, 1971 Fillmore West.

The third is familiar to me but I'm not recalling the exact show and date. It would take some listening through to different shows to be certain.

The third one is Stoneybrook 9-19-1971.

Posted : February 16, 2023 2:10 pm
harvey reacted
harvey
(@harvey)
Noble Member
Topic starter

JACKSONVILLE 1970 added to list as 10/14/70 - although this date is an assumption

Posted : April 14, 2023 6:07 pm
Billastro
(@billastro)
Prominent Member

And now, for the obvious question: How can we get a copy of this? I couldn't find Andy in the members' database. What's next? 

Thanks!

Billastro

This post was modified 12 months ago by Billastro

Posted : April 16, 2023 6:10 pm
Polypheme
(@polypheme)

@rotoscope: I posted in error.

This post was modified 9 months ago by Polypheme

Posted : July 10, 2023 4:29 pm
Polypheme
(@polypheme)

@rotoscope: re #3. It's from 9/19/1971 Stony Brook show. At the end of track 3, "Don't Keep Me Wonderin," Duane says "We enjoyed it last year, we enjoy it this year, and we'll enjoy it next year, I'm sure."

Posted : July 10, 2023 5:00 pm
harvey reacted
Share: