|Hittin' The Web with the Allman Brothers Band Forum|
You are not logged in
(908 all sites)
| posted on 6/26/2007 at 06:51 AM|
|Upcoming Release set for Sept 25th: Goin’ Home - A Tribute to Fats Domino |
June 22, 2007 – Santa Monica, CA - Icons from the world of rock, blues, reggae, pop and country music have joined together to salute the genius of legendary piano man FATS DOMINO for the upcoming double CD set, Goin’ Home: A Tribute to Fats Domino. Goin’ Home is set for a September 25th release on Vanguard Records. This stellar tribute to one of the cornerstones of rock n’ roll music will help raise desperately needed funds specifically earmarked for instruments to be donated to New Orleans’ public school children.
Monies raised from the sales of Goin’ Home will also go toward the rebuilding of Fats Domino’s home and to create a community center in the Crescent City’s still ravaged Lower 9th Ward. Proceeds of Goin’ Home will fund additional community related programs.
The Tipitina’s Foundation, a 501 ©(3) non-profit corporation dedicated to preserving the cultural legacy of New Orleans through music education for the youth and providing programs that support working musicians of New Orleans and the Gulf Region, conceived and executive produced Goin’ Home.
The roster of music royalty contributing their interpretations of classic Fats Domino songs include: Sir Elton John (Blueberry Hill), Sir Paul McCartney (I Want To Walk You Home), Tom Petty (I’m Walkin’), Robert Plant (It Keeps Rainin’), Willie Nelson (I Hear You Knockin’), B.B. King (Goin’ Home) and Neil Young (Walkin’ To New Orleans).
Goin’ Home will also feature the late John Lennon’s version of Fats’ most popular song, “Ain’t That A Shame.”
In addition, some of modern music’s most prolific artists have contributed their time and talent including Taj Mahal, Herbie Hancock, Bonnie Raitt, Lenny Kravitz, Norah Jones, Ben Harper with The Skatalites, Toots and The Maytals and Lucinda Williams.
Up and coming stars such as Marc Broussard with Sam Bush, Corrine Bailey Rae and Joss Stone with blues master Buddy Guy have recorded their renditions for this unique compilation.
The participation of some of New Orleans greatest musicians has been paramount in the process of recording of Goin’ Home. Dr. John, Art Neville, Allen Toussaint, Irma Thomas, Marcia Ball, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Ivan Neville’s Dumpstaphunk, Galactic, Walter “Wolfman” Washington, Theresa Andersson and NOLA funk masters George Porter Jr., Zigaboo Modeliste, Leo Nocentelli and Henry Butler. Goin’ Home is the brainchild of Tipitina’s Foundation executive director Bill Taylor.
“The idea came to me last September when I was trying to come up with a way to thank Fats for donating the proceeds of his last recording, Alive and Kickin to our Foundation. I also wanted to create a project that could shine the spotlight on our city’s unique music culture. Every artist I reached out to gave us a resounding yes and the album was quickly underway”.
Kevin Welk, President and General Manager of The Welk Music Group stated, “We feel privileged to be involved in such a worthy project. Not only is this a great cause, it continues to raise awareness to a great city that needs all of our support.”
Taylor adds, “Fats Domino is the cornerstone of New Orleans music, which in turn became the bedrock for R&B, Soul, Country, Reggae and Rock and Roll. Getting him back to his Lower 9th Ward house will send a clear message to his friends, neighbors and fans that we in New Orleans are coming back and Fats is leading the way.”
The line-up includes (subject to change)
• Dr. John- Don’t Leave Me This Way
• Paul McCartney- I Want to Walk You Home
• Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers- I’m Walkin’
• Randy Newman- Blue Monday
• Toots and the Maytals- Let the Four Winds Blow
• John Lennon- Ain’t That A Shame
• Olu Dara with Donald Harrison - When I See You
• Elton John- Blueberry Hill
• Lenny Kravitz with the Rebirth Brass Band, Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews, Fred Wesley, Pee Wee Ellis and Maceo Parker- Whole Lotta Lovin’
• Bonnie Raitt- I’m in Love Again & All by Myself
• Robert Plant with the Lil’ Band O’ Gold- It Keeps Rainin’
• BB King with Ivan Neville’s Dumpstaphunk - Goin’ Home
• Taj Mahal with The New Orleans Social Club- My Girl Josephine
• Art Neville- Please Don’t Leave Me
• Willie Nelson- I Hear You Knockin’
• Irma Thomas and Marcia Ball- I Just Can’t Get New Orleans Off My Mind
• Herbie Hancock with George Porter Jr., Zigaboo Modeliste and Renard Poche- I’m Gonna Be A Wheel
• Corinne Bailey Rae- One Night (Of Sin)
• Bruce Hornsby- Don’t Blame it on Me
• Ben Harper with the Skatalites- Be My Guest
• Norah Jones- My Blue Heaven
• Neil Young- Waking to New Orleans
• Soweto Gospel Choir & Robert Plant- Valley of Tears
• Joss Stone, Buddy Guy and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band- Every Night About This Time
• Marc Broussard featuring Sam Bush- Rising Sun
• Allen Toussaint- Go Fats Domino
• Lucinda Williams- song TBD
• Walter Wolfman Washington, Theresa Anderson & Preservation Hall Jazz Band- When The Saints Go Marching In
For The Tipitina’s Foundation info:
(18594 all sites)
| posted on 6/26/2007 at 10:54 AM|
|Wow! This should be excellent! And what a good way to raise funds to get Fats back in his house as well as help out others whose lives were affected by Katrina! |
"Come on down to the Mermaid Cafe and I will buy you a bottle of wine, and we'll laugh and toast to nothing and smash our empty glasses down..."
Terms of Service |
Report Infringement |
Personal Data Management |
|The ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND name, The ALLMAN BROTHERS name, likenesses, logos, mushroom design and peach truck are all registered trademarks of THE ABB MERCHANDISING CO., INC. whose rights are specifically reserved. Any artwork, visual, or audio representations used on this web site CONTAINING ANY REGISTERED TRADEMARKS are under license from The ABB MERCHANDISING CO., INC. A REVOCABLE, GRATIS LICENSE IS GRANTED TO ALL REGISTERED PEACH CORP MEMBERS FOR The DOWNLOADING OF ONE COPY FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. ANY DISTRIBUTION OR REPRODUCTION OF THE TRADEMARKS CONTAINED HEREIN ARE PROHIBITED AND ARE SPECIFICALLY RESERVED BY THE ABB MERCHANDISING CO.,INC.