ScottC - 10/3/2017 at 03:35 PM
Now that Gregg Allmans recorded canon is closed, heres my attempt at a two disc best of. It might not be yours. It might not be mine a year from now. Selecting songs to fit on two 80-minutes discs is hard and some omissions were difficult.
1. Midnight Rider Gregg Allman
2. It's Not My Cross To Bear The Allman Brothers Band
3. Wasted Words The Allman Brothers Band
4. Queen Of Hearts Gregg Allman
5. Melissa The Allman Brothers Band
6. I'm No Angel The Gregg Allman Band
7. Dreams The Allman Brothers Band
8. The Dark End of the Street Gregg Allman
9. Before the Bullets Fly The Gregg Allman Band
10. Black Muddy River Gregg Allman
11. Stormy Monday The Allman Brothers Band
12. Two Steps From The Blues Bonnie Bramlett and Gregg Allman
13. Soulshine The Allman Brothers Band
14. Just Ain't Easy The Allman Brothers Band
15. Please Call Home Gregg Allman
16. Song For Adam Gregg Allman
1. Ain't Wastin' Time No More The Allman Brothers Band
2. These Days Gregg Allman
3. My Only True Friend Gregg Allman
4. Multi-Colored Lady Gregg Allman
5. Come On In My Kitchen The Allman Brothers Band
6. Slip Away The Gregg Allman Band
7. Floating Bridge Gregg Allman
8. All My Friends Gregg Allman
9. End Of The Line The Allman Brothers Band
10. House of Blues Gregg Allman
11. Come And Go Blues The Gregg Allman Band
12. Desdemona The Allman Brothers Band
13. I Can't Be Satisfied Gregg Allman
14. Rain The Gregg Allman Band
15. Whippin' Post Gregg Allman
16. Old Before My Time The Allman Brothers Band
ABBDutchFan - 10/3/2017 at 05:56 PM
Very nicely assembled. Nice finishing touch with using "Old Before My Time" as a closing song.
If there was room for a bonus track (i reckon there isn't ) i would have opted for "BB King medley" by The Hourglass.
[Edited on 10/3/2017 by ABBDutchFan]
steadyhorse - 10/3/2017 at 07:06 PM
Great choice with the Dark End Of The Street
ScottC - 10/3/2017 at 07:16 PM
ABBDutchFan, that was one of the difficult omissions. The song is nearly 7 minutes so it was one of my last cuts, if not the last one.
hotlantatim - 10/3/2017 at 07:37 PM
I'd use one of the acoustic Come & Go Blues takes by Gregg (or Gregg & Warren):
And Gregg with Derek Trucks Band, Drown In My Own Tears would be hard to leave off:
hotlantatim - 10/3/2017 at 07:37 PM
But great setlist for sure!
BIGV - 10/4/2017 at 12:18 AM
May I add two I think worthy of consideration....
"Mess up a good thing"
willieB69 - 10/4/2017 at 03:25 PM
Would have to find room for "Lovelight" from the 1974 Gregg Allman Tour
KCJimmy - 10/4/2017 at 04:42 PM
You may need a 3rd disc!
I am glad I wasn't tasked with making these difficult decisions. .... but if it was my decision...... I'd cut something for Oncoming Traffic!
I would probably separate live tracks & studio tracks on separate discs.
[Edited on 10/4/2017 by KCJimmy]
Fretsman - 10/9/2017 at 03:37 PM
I have done Gregg compilation CDs in the past, I was looking for a song or two from each CD. My pick for the Gregg Allman Tour disc was Are You Lonely For Me Baby. My personal fav off that disc.
BirdsAway - 10/10/2017 at 08:14 AM
A very nice compilation. I've attempted this myself and it's always nice to get someone else's take on it. Looking at the list and some of the suggestions, along with my own thoughts, I think you should seriously consider a third disc. I Love The Life I Live probably deserves a spot and the BB King Medley, as mentioned, would be pretty hard to leave off. Oh and thanks, now I have to dig mine out and redo it.
In one of his interviews GA said that Fear of Falling was one of his favorite songs so I included that on mine. Also there are a couple of live versions of I Found A Love and also Heart Of Stone that are hard to overlook.
[Edited on 10/10/2017 by BirdsAway]
Agerst1574 - 10/10/2017 at 11:38 AM
Nice compilation. Any compilation of mine would have to have "God Rest his Soul" which I consider to be solo Gregg as it was a demo of his pre-Allman group, 31st of February. I always loved this song having first heard this when I was given the release on Bold Records.
bird72 - 10/10/2017 at 01:43 PM
You hit about 90% of what I would have picked which is pretty close!
My winter audio tape projects will include a Gregg / ABB 3 hour assortment on reel. I'll be limited to vintage vinyl source, so more limited than the venture in this thread............
Stephen - 10/10/2017 at 04:29 PM
Great ones -- the One More Try 2-CD comp is a Gem as far as his early career -- then Searchin', LCBlues & the current Southern Blood from 'later' -- I'm No Angel & Bullets have excellent cuts on them too
I love the original Melissa from the same Bold Record release Agerst1574 mentioned too, would have to make room for it & God Rest His Soul
[Edited on 10/10/2017 by Stephen]
Toemoss - 10/11/2017 at 12:47 PM
Oncoming Traffic needs to be on that or any list. Great song!